Summer Jazz Combo School will take place from June 15-19. Participants will play in small group jazz ensembles that meet for two hours per day all week long.
In these five two-hour sessions with a jazz pro you will get experience playing in a small group jazz ensemble with others who are playing at your level. A few of the things you will learn include:
- How to learn a chart by ear
- The importance of form, how it can keep you from getting lost, and how to decipher and understand the form of jazz tunes
- Tips and tricks for starting and ending tunes and putting together cool arrangements
- Plenty of advice on how you can become a better improviser and bandmate
- The importance of listening and how to do it right!
When the week is over, you will know a few new tunes, have met new friends who also dig jazz, (and who you are almost sure to interact with later). And, you will have the knowledge you need to keep growing as a musician. You might even decide to start your own group and keep the music going!
How it works
If you are interested in participating, you can either gather a group of friends and request to be placed together, or, sign up as an individual and we will place you in a group based on your age and experience. Your group will meet either at 8:30 am, 11 am, 1:30 pm, 4 pm or 6:30 pm. You can’t choose your time, so make sure you have some flexibility if you sign up! (Though we will make every effort to accommodate).
The cost for the entire week, 10 hours, is just $125.
All instruments including strings and vocals are welcome. However, we will be limited in the number of each instrument that we can take. (We don’t want to end up with 4 drummers in each band!)
The sessions will take place at the Milestones/JazzFresno Studio located at 90 E. Escalon, Suite 115 in Fresno.